Band and Choir Students Attend ILMEA Online Music Festival

Maggie Parham ‘22

Back in early November, seven members of the Providence Catholic High School Music Department were selected to take part in the ILMEA District 1 Music Festival. Adam Jostes (junior), Kate Koszulinski (senior), Chloe LaBine (senior), and Nick and Nathan Pugh (juniors) represented the Providence Choir. Seniors Michael Melei and Abigail Pintoy represented the Providence Band.  

It is a great honor to participate in The Illinois Music Educators Association Music Festival. The festival compromises of choirs, bands, jazz bands, and orchestras from throughout the state. Students had to submit an audition video to participate in this virtual festival.  

On November 21st, students participated in the ILMEA masterclass. Junior Nick Pugh says he “learned so much in just a few hours, even though it was virtual. I came back from the masterclass with such a better understanding of many skills and qualities singers have”. Nathan Pugh agrees, and remarked that “ILMEA was definitely not what it usually is, but I had a good time learning and practicing skills from some great people during the masterclasses”.  

Congratulations to all the Celtics who participated in ILMEA this year and keep up the great work! It’s so great to see the arts continue to thrive despite these unusual circumstances.