Senior Paige Shepherd Selected To All-State Honors Choir

Charlie Celtic, staff writer

Providence Catholic High School is proud to announce that senior Paige Shepherd has been selected to All-State Honors Choir – the sixth year in a row that a Singing Celtic has gone to State.

Based upon judge’s scoring of the original video, Paige was named to the All-State  Choir as a member of the Alto I section.  She is a graduate of St. Paul the Apostle Catholic School Joliet.

Paige only had the one audition as her opportunity. Every choir student in the district choosing to audition was given the task to demonstrate their singing abilities on specific repertoire and tonal skills. Over 25,000 music students auditioned.  Paige was selected to the District 1 ILMEA Music Festival, held in November along with fellow classmate Hunter Chentnik. Paige was also selected last year for the District 1 ILMEA Music Festival.

“Paige and Hunter worked extremely hard and their perseverance paid off for them,” says Dr. Stacy Eckert, Director of Choirs, Liturgical Music and Theatre, Tri-M Honor Society & Thespian Honor Society Moderator at Providence Catholic. “Paige being selected to State is truly an honor. She has been a valuable member of the Singing Celtics and the Provi Theatre during her four years at Providence. Prior to that, she was an avid participant in the theatre program and choir at St. Paul the Apostle Grade School in Joliet. Her devotion to music certainly has paved the path to this significant achievement her senior year.”

Less than 2,000 students are selected from the more than 25,000 entries. Those selected for State are chosen to perform in an ensemble, including All-State Orchestra and Honors Orchestra, All-State Band and Honors Band, All-State Jazz Band and Honors Jazz Band, All-State Vocal Jazz and Honors Vocal Jazz, and All-State Choir and Honors Choir.

All-State occurs at the Illinois Music Educators Conference in Peoria. Music students spend three days rehearsing in specific State ensembles. Their performances will occur on Saturday January 28, 2023, at the Peoria Convention Center.

Previous Singing Celtics chosen to State include Alyssa LaBine – 2018, 2019; Chloe LaBine 2020, 2021; Nathan Pugh 2021, 2022; and Nick Pugh, 2022.