PROVISCOPE

The Student News Site of Providence Catholic High School

PROVISCOPE

PROVISCOPE

Congratulations to Our Retiring Teachers!
Features
Katherine Timm '25May 2, 2024
Summer Reading Book Recommendations
Features
Summer Reading Book Recommendations
Emily Amann '24May 2, 2024
Summer Fun!
Features
Summer Fun!
Devan Reynolds '24May 2, 2024
Mental Health Awareness Movies and TV Shows
Features
Michael Giacomo '25May 2, 2024
Top 5 Tips for Acing Finals
Features
Top 5 Tips for Acing Finals
Katherine Timm '25May 2, 2024

The Strange Realm of Scholastic Bowl

The Strange Realm of Scholastic Bowl

The Strange Realm of Scholastic Bowl

It is strange to think that many different and unique clubs, sports, and activities exist in the educational system. One usually pays attention to the “important” activities, usually deemed this because of their large scale and popularity: basketball, volleyball, and math teams. The list goes on. However, some actions need to be noticed, which does not invalidate their benefit and the joy it brings the participants. One of these activities is the Scholastic Bowl.

Scholastic Bowl is technically considered a sport at most schools. Two teams of five from opposing schools come together to face each other head-on. Each student sits at a table with a buzzer, ready to answer questions. However, these questions are more balanced and straightforward than one may think. The questions range from the basic ideas taught in school, such as introductory chemistry and geometry, to the obscurities, such as India’s government and Taylor Swift’s career. With the students ready to buzz in, energy filling the room, the moderator reads the first question, the tossup. The students listen in, ignoring the clamor from outside, thumbs restless on the buzzer, waiting for the keywords that set their brains off. When someone buzzes in, they state their answer. If they are correct, the team can answer three bonus questions. The unit can receive forty points, but if they get any wrong, the question bounces to the opposing team with a chance to steal. The game continues, and the team with the most points at the end of the match wins. The two teams shake hands, complement each other on a good game, and prepare for the next round, hoping the next set of questions will be easier to answer.

Though Scholastic Bowl is not the same as a mainstream sport or club, it still contains the same team building, energy, and commitment as other sports. If anyone wants to join the Providence Catholic Scholastic Bowl team, message Mr. Austrums, the Providence Catholic Scholastic Bowl Team moderator and coach. Feel free to attend a weekly meeting on Tuesdays at 2:45 p.m., directly after school, in Mr. Austrums’s classroom.