PROVISCOPE

The Student News Site of Providence Catholic High School

PROVISCOPE

PROVISCOPE

Congratulations to Our Retiring Teachers!
Features
Katherine Timm '25May 2, 2024
Summer Reading Book Recommendations
Features
Summer Reading Book Recommendations
Emily Amann '24May 2, 2024
Summer Fun!
Features
Summer Fun!
Devan Reynolds '24May 2, 2024
Mental Health Awareness Movies and TV Shows
Features
Michael Giacomo '25May 2, 2024
Top 5 Tips for Acing Finals
Features
Top 5 Tips for Acing Finals
Katherine Timm '25May 2, 2024

Spring Weather

Spring Weather

As you all have felt these past few days, it has been surprisingly warm. During the end of February, we felt temperatures up to the 60s and even the low 70s. Although we saw snow earlier this year, According to The Weather Channel, the rest of wintertime is expected to be mild, leading to an early spring. Later, into the spring and summer, as the warmth continues, we are expecting an intense storm season as well. Here are some of the reasons for these predictions.

The one of factors that has been bringing warmth to our winter so far is El Niño, the warm part of the climate pattern that describes the temperature of the eastern tropical Pacific Ocean. Its counterpart, La Niña, brings cool water. These factors are part of a larger pattern called ENSO (El Niño-Southern Oscillation) with Southern Oscillation being the name for the atmospheric changes. While El Niño effects places like Australia and South America the most, its ‘far-above-average’ water temperatures have affected places in the Northern Hemisphere as well.

However, as we transition into the summer, El Niño is predicted to fade rapidly, leading to La Niña’s dominance. This quick transition, along with an increase in global temperature is predicted to ensure an intense storm season. This year’s hurricane season is predicted to be more active as well as this year’s severe weather. According to The Weather Channel, streams of warm, wet air from the Gulf of Mexico are predicted to reach farther north this year due to El Niño’s rapid decay. This means that the Plains and upper Midwest are right in the path of the fuel that powers these severe storms.

Since there is a lot happening this spring, here is a quick summary. Springtime is going to be unusually warm for our area, which means perfect weather for spring sports. However, this summer may bring intense storms to the Midwest. In conclusion, no matter where you are, it is important to prepare for the weather. Remember to stay hydrated when it’s warm and always have a plan for when severe storms come your way. Planning ahead is the best way to enjoy this year’s springtime! Thank you for reading.

Sources: Fading El Niño May Bring Severe, Tropical Weather | Weather.com

Likely Warmer-Than-Average Spring In Much Of US | Weather.com

Late Winter, Early Spring Temperature Outlook | Weather.com

Image link for picture to include: https://s.w-x.co/util/image/w/wsi_feb_april_0116.jpg?crop=16:9&width=980&format=pjpg&auto=webp&quality=60